Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I Got A Cheatin' Heart

A while ago I almost chucked it in down at the Factory. I knew the owner of a competing business and I courted him shamelessly. I even had him over to La Cassa Skooka one Saturday afternoon. We got on well, agreed on many things…and best of all, his company has MONEY. Lots of it. He was smooth too, casually offering me pay packages and titles until my head swam. “Sure baby, anything for you…you're special”

I finally felt *sniff* validation, you know. So I was all set to run away with him to a beautiful big Factory in another land. But when I tried to leave, suddenly my current employer had time for my ideas…

”Oh, baby don’t go…I know I haven’t said I love you lately, but I do baby, I really really do.” And they upped my yearly income by 50%. So I decided to stick it out and give it one more try, for the sake of the kids.

Today we all went to a fun course about efficiency where we thought up better ways to make Lego airplanes and ship them to imaginary customers. I was the first from my company to arrive and guess who I bumped into…

Me “Hey! Hi…..I’ve been meaning to call. Just to say hi.”
Him “Hey gooood to seeeee you, how have you beeeeen?”

And we made small talk until we were interrupted. But we both knew there was still that spark there. During the course of the day we worked together at one point and had a laugh or two, just like old times *sniff*.

And then at the end of the day, after my colleagues had left and I was waiting out front for my lift, we ran into each other again….

“Good to see you again”, he said as we shook hands. And he held my gaze until all I could sputter was “You too. We really should have a chat sometime”
You call me anytime.” he said, and I felt all oogy inside.

Well, I got his card and email address in my wallet now, like a dirty secret. And I’m having bad thoughts, naughty naughty wicked thoughts. He has a PROFITABLE company, where they listen to the customers and listen to the employees and everybody does Ti-Chi at lunch time (well, they might). I even heard they give people raises for doing a good job! Oh yeah, and THAT company is not run by insane people. At my current joint I can’t get new saw blades, but they bought a $500 office chair for the SPARE computer, the one nobody actually uses.

It’s a nice business card…not too glossy or tacky. I’ll just look at it for a while then put it away…I won’t memorize the email or phone number…ohhhh you can just smell the money-smell on it….ahhhh

I think I’d like to be alone now…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a tough choice....want me to send ya a looney so that you could make your choice the canadian way

Anonymous said...

I have a bionic butt. i do.

SkookumJoe said...

Thanks everyone...not sure what to make of your bionic butt, but hey if its working for you then run with it (man, I'm a pun-factory lately)

I don't think Looneys work in the Southern Hemisphere. They flip the wrong way or something...I'm not too clear on the physics involved.