Saturday, February 25, 2006

Skoda (pt.2)


...I'd been a bit worried about the big 5-ton wrecker's mirror, which stuck out about 2 feet from the side of the cab. But as I'd hoped, the Skoda passed underneath easily.

The Tow Truck Owner had parked his livelihood in the laneway beside his house, between the house itself and a high board fence which surrounded the property. Tall summer grass grew against the fence. The truck was backed-in; facing the street, so the narrowest point was between the truck’s front wheel-well and the fence. What it all meant was I wouldn’t know if the Skoda was going to fit for sure until I was fully alongside the truck and committed. Once I got past the front end of the truck, I would need to jog left to get out the gate and onto the street

I never let the Skoda above an idle, ½ slipping the clutch in second gear, trying to coax it alongside the truck as quietly as possible. I’d decided no way was I going to damage the truck, or there would certainly be cops involved. Escaping from an impound yard is questionable legally, but damage to the 5 Ton would be tangible and damming evidence. The kind cops like best, makes their job easy.

The front end of the Skoda cleared the narrow point and was past the front end of the truck. My driver’s side mirror (folded in) was now inside the truck’s front wheel-well. The grass against the fence rustled and we came to a stop. In the dark I could just make out an old tire leaning against the fence, hidden in the grass. My right passenger door was wedged against the tire. Shit.
Somewhere, a dog barked...

No comments: