Friday, February 24, 2006

Straight From People's Car Factory 12


The car in this little story was a 1983 Skoda 120 Garde. That's a 1.2 litre 4 cylinder water cooled rear engine, rear-wheel-drive, four-speed. They are made in Czechoslovakia. A bit like a cross between a Volvo 240 and a Toyota Turcell. It was safety-orange with black rally stripes and constantly overheating due to a poorly designed cooling system. Czechoslovakia was still communist back then and the Owner's Manual came with detail drawings for machining your own spare parts. Once, the carburetor caught fire and I shot a fire-extinguisher straight down it's throat. Started right up again. It was a finicky machine and I got it for free from a woman who was so frustrated with it, she said I could have it if I could drive it away. (It had a dead battery, which I eventually found mounted under the back seat.) Shortly after I got it, it lost first gear. Just wasn't there anymore...vroom-vroom, no-go...but I drove it for over a year.

Finally I abandoned it under the Alex Fraser Bridge in Delta, Vancouver. Got me a full-size, jacked-up Chevy 4x4...but that's another story altogether.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jacked up chev 4x4.....sounds like a long story that took place over night