Thursday, February 23, 2006

Skoda

…I had a tape measure in the car so I went down and measured the gap. About 62”, that’s a little over 5 feet. I walked back up to the car, folded in the side mirrors and measured…60 inches. One inch either side. There was a good chance I was gonna lose a mirror, but hey if it meant freedom…

The car had been idling back there for about an hour by now and I figured the Tow Truck Owner had gone back to bed. I hoped he was used to the sound of the car running by now - out in the impound lot, behind his dingy bungalow. He’d said I could sleep in the car and I’d asked him to leave the keys, so I could run the heater. He left the keys, but parked the big 5 ton wrecker in the lane beside the house, blocking the only exit. It was about 3:30am by the time I eased the little Skoda into second (it mysteriously lost first gear about a year earlier) and let it putter slowly across the yard toward the 5 ton.

The idea was to sneak past on the right hand side, get the hell out of town and duck up the first bush road I could find to hide out until morning - when I could buy enough fuel to get home.
I figured if the Tow Truck Driver woke up and called the cops, they’d naturally think I’d be heading straight down the only road out. By the time I got fuel and really headed out they may have given up looking, or figured I’d gone back to Toffino and be looking up there. Didn’t matter because I had no fuel, so that was that. I never got a chance to find out...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I REMEMBER THAT
ahhhhhhhhh the skoda days
that 1 is the wrong colour tho

SkookumJoe said...

ummm...that's a black and white photograph...try to imagine the car in safety-orange. Also the left-rear corner window was missing, where I broke in once when I locked the keys inside.

Also my licence-plate was a mix of random letters and numbers, not the word SKODA.

but you get the idea.

Anonymous said...

even if it is a black and white photo.....it's still the wrong colour.....i think i got a pic of it in my back yard

SkookumJoe said...

hope its not raining. your picture will get wet

Anonymous said...

Isn't that what life is about, getting yourself out of trouble once in awhile?!