Saturday, February 11, 2006

They Don't Say That In Alabama

Article in Australian Time magazine on Bode Miller, the US ski team's brightest star. He dared to admit he has raced while hung-over. Shocking isn't it? Shocking anybody cares.
I'm not sure how I ended up with a subscription to Time, which is of course an American magazine reporting on American things - "Bush Eavesdrops Self: Listens to Tapes for Reassurance". All I know is my daughter got a new MP3 player about the time Time (ahem) started appearing in the mailbox, and the angry phone calls wanting $60 began. Like it or not I got 104 issues coming. The Australian version is pretty much a reprint of the US version except they change things into metric for you....Bode can ski 80mph OR 130km/h. Its not as bad as Australian Reader's Digest, which for some reason Mrs. Joe likes to bring home from flea-markets by the box. Australian Reader's Digest actually changes people's quoted words...so you have some slob from Alabama quoted as saying:
"We were sitting on the bonnet of a car, watching the people queue on the footpath in front of the cinema"
I've been to Alabama...they don't talk that way. In fact refering to the hood of a car as a 'bonnet' can get you strung up in many counties.
I always thought quotation marks denoted someone's exact, actual words. If they'll change that, how can you trust anything they report.
Yes. I realize what I just said. Reader's Digest is not to be trusted. Sorry if you are disillusioned. Did you know most of the words in the Increase Your Wordpower section are made up?
Good luck to Bode Miller, drink lots of water.

No comments: