Tuesday, May 15, 2007

rather loosley linked narrative

Foods I have cooked but never eaten:

lobster
crab
escargot

I guess that’s it. Not that interesting after all was it? All of them are related to insects you know.

You ever seen capers? We had a jar of capers in a place I worked as a cook. It sat on a shelf and we never used them for anything. Little grey-green fuzzy pea-sized balls in a mystery liquid. If I had worked there in the future instead of 1988, I’d have set up a secret web cam so I could keep track of those capers even now, not NOW now, but the future now. I bet they’d still be there. They’re probably dead.

Criminals like capers, or they used to, in the 40’s. Always pulling off big capers. You’d see them getting around wearing striped turtlenecks and Lone Ranger masks carrying a bag marked discreetly $ on their way home from the caper, or capers if it was a Friday. Only certain crimes are capers. Anything involving cracking a safe, for example.

One time we found an un-locked semi-trailer of empty soft drink bottles parked at a motel. We took 60 cases of empty bottles in for refund at the corner store. The nice lady asked if we had had a party. We made $74 which we used to buy beer. That was a caper.

I’m pretty sure the statute of limitations has run out on that one, so it’s safe to talk about now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. haha. Funny combination of stories, Mr Skookum.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

How come this post doesn't have a label? The labels are funny. I like them.