Friday, April 21, 2006

Aussie Slang #1

Flat-out like a lizard drinking: To be doing nothing, a lazy person, lack of effort.

This was a new one on me used by a co-worker the other day, refering to another worker, and it’s one of the more complicated ones. Slang within slang, with a local/country aspect. No, lizards do not necessarily drink in a prone position as at first I thought. “Flat-out” means working or moving at full speed (this I knew, but for some reason I kept thinking of a flattened lizard, as I have often seen in my rear view). I gave it some thought, but eventually I had to ask for a translation.

“How often have you seen a lizard drink?” he offered by way of a hint. Which then made me think perhaps lizards only drink at night, or in the morning or what the fuck does that have to do with it?

Well you never see a lizard drinking (like you never see lots of stuff - like sparrows copulating or the inside of a match factory). Therefore when you say someone is “flat out like a lizard drinking” you mean he may be working but you’d never know it, which may be reduced further to “a lazy person”.

…I think.


No comments: