Friday, April 28, 2006

Gettin' all philosophical on your ass.

I found some religious literature on the hall floor when I got home today. I’d seen two guys in suits going door to door recently, wearing sunglasses and carrying leather man-purses, but I saw them coming in time and hid out on the back deck, whispering encouragement to my barking dogs. The men in black knocked once, twice, thrice and then went next door where they found knocking an extra fourth time... brought a groggy man to the door who told them to shove off.

Anyway I thought I had escaped until today. Cheeky monkeys, came back and slipped it under the door. Must be some sort of follow-up policy God is instituting to drum up sales. Its even printed on very thin paper, for tight fitting doors I suppose. Well I read one paragraph just to be sporting but when it said things like “It has been clearly demonstrated that rulership by humans apart from God can never succeed” they lost straight away on points.

Even if I wanted to believe that, I’m a realist, and that statement just can’t be supported logically.

What rulership? How do you “rule” nature? One big meteor strike and maybe the ants get a turn at being “ruler”.

Nothing has been “clearly demonstrated” either. Assuming there is a God, it can’t be said humans clearly do worse without God, until I suppose, we try going 100,000 years or so with God. Which god, by the way? They all look so good its hard to tell your Jesus’ and Jehovah’s apart.

And what do they mean by “succeed”? This implies a goal. Is there a time limit? If the goal is to get to God, then what are we doing in this shit-hole? If the goal is to improve, then aren’t we doing that? You know, medicine, science, human rights – we stopped torturing people for not believing in God, that’s something isn’t it?

All I’m saying is the above statement is false, logically. The technical term is ‘blather’. It is made up, its an opinion not a fact. It has no conclusions that can be proved or disproved, is supported by flawed premises. That shit annoys me.

It all may turn out to be true of course, but if it is then statements like this will only be correct by correlation – by coincidence.

We’re all just guessing. Someone’s bound to be right in the end, but we won’t really know till we know.

Now I gotta go rule my cats.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aren’t you glad that the fear of God, along with the “answers,” can be delivered straight to your home free of charge? – Well, not quiet free. If you drink the wine (Kool-Aid), you must be prepared to pay for your sins. And just when you think you’ve paid enough, the messengers will remind you that you owe more. And if you don’t pay, you had better be prepared for damnation. -- It’s scheme that’s been taking place for a few years now.

Nice site, BTW.

SkookumJoe said...

yes, classic pyramid scheme.

"...you had better be prepared for damnation." - I always wondered how you prepare for something like that...what would you pack? Will there be a lot of walking? Do I need my hat?