Saturday, July 01, 2006

Congratulations, it’s a PC.

Alas, this update emanates from the old computer as the new network hub has not yet arrived. The blue cable I braved the subterranean world to string lies forlorn, waiting for ends to be attached, the line tested and connection made through the gigabit hub. Apparently the little crimping tool used to attach the ends to a CAT 5 network cable is some special creation of the IT alchemists, a mystery never to be exposed to the not-fully-geeked. What I mean is, I’d hook the damn thing up myself but nobody will lend me their crimper…”Oh, yeah…well, um, I’m not supposed to let it leave the shop. Why don’t you bring the cable in and I’ll do it here?” Because that would be stupid. That’s why.

He mentioned they are worth $60. This means they are not wrought in Vulcan’s subterranean forge in exchange for the blood of virgins, but rather, may be purchased. I really don’t want to invest in a tool I’ll probably never use again, but I will have my gigabit network.

So while I sort that out I’m asking for names for the second computer. The old computer is called “skook2”. I’ll need to identify the new computer on the network and it’s current name “004588CG8” is a bit plain don’t you think? I’ve been calling it Dave.

What do you suggest…..?


4 comments:

Amanda said...

I think you should call it George. I named my HPLC (lab tech stuff)George as I figured if I had to spend 8 hours a day with something it should at least make me think of Mr. Clooney once in a while.

exile said...

hmmmmm... well, you could call it HAL* but that's a little too cliche'

ooooh, how about whopper** like in war games?


*Exile Fact: did you know that in 2001 A Space Odyssey the name HAL was chosen for the computer based on what the next letter of the alphabit. after H is I, after A is B, and after L is M. HAL is IBM.

**Exile Fact: in "War Games" they picked then name whopper to perody the goverment's real defense computer Big Mac

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Please don't call it Dave. That's the name of the retarded ex-boyfriend engineer guy who fucked up my wireless network.

You're just asking for trouble if you stick with Dave.

Call it Shenaynay. Or Takeyla. (That second one is the actual spelling of someone's name.)

SkookumJoe said...

Siobain, Takeyla...I don't think you people are trying. It's a computer, not a contestant on American Idol.

I will take the No-Dave advice though. Don't want any bad mojo on the network side of things.