Thursday, August 24, 2006

Day 1

Production Planner: The production planner takes the initial design from the Designer and turns it into proper working drawings which can be used to actually construct the product. Often this involves telling the Designer he or she can't have this or that because it's actually impossible in a three dimensional universe (4 if you count time), then coming up with something just as good for them so they can win an award for the design and feel validated ("See Dad? Designer is too a real job").
The job requires a high degree of accuracy and the Production Planners I know of tend to be a bit tightly wrapped. They are elitists who wish the world to conform to their expectations, and get huffy if ignored for they are Righteous in all ways, brother. They do not understand that the real world seldom works out mathematically...walls are never plumb, floors are never level, buildings move, timber expands and contracts. The planners I've met complain about the way things should be instead of anticipating and allowing for an imperfect world. They have trouble keeping anything simple then get annoyed when they have to explain it.
Well now I'm one of them. But I was told today I was hired precisley because I am not like that. I am a realist and have worked in most of the trades that will be reading the plans. In short I know how the shit is actually made...which is good if you are drawing the plans for said shit.
I met the other Planner today. He makes the guy at my last job look like Jerry Lewis. Apparently they haven't felt the need to fill him in because he was pumping me for information. It was obviously important to him so I played it vague because I didn't know what his reaction would be one way or the other and if the boss hadn't told him anything then I sure wasn't.
Thing is he's going to have to do a lot of work with me to get me up to speed. This ought to be interesting. I've been hired to simplify the plans precisely because he is too complex (and slow), yet he will be showing me "how they do things".
Also I get a 5 day paid trip to Sydney to take a custom (that is, just for me) software course. My last job offered to send me on a course at the local college, then they asked me to pay half, THEN they started taking money from my pay without even clearing it with me. That was the day before I quit, exactly 4 weeks ago today.
Not a funny post and we at SJ apologize and will get back to stoopider shit soon. We also wish exoterica good luck with her many looming prospects in the land of the beautiful and long-legged.

4 comments:

citizen***146 said...

So what are you modifying? I hope it`s buildings, is it buildings?,buildings are cool.
I was told yesterday that the world trade centre only collapsed for the lack of a DECENT sprinkler system!

SkookumJoe said...

yes buildings are very cool, I have one myself.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Thanks SJ.

SkookumJoe said...

actually Cit146 the Trade Center fell down because it was constructed with steel trusses which are as strong as a concrete beam but are made of thin steel tubing which will buckle easily with intense heat. So yes a better fire suppression system would have helped, but only if it was opereating within the floors, where the trusses are located.

The Empire State building was hit by a B-17 bomber in the 40's and survived possibly because it uses the older beam construction method.