Sunday, August 06, 2006

Flying roofs, elected drug dealers, children's literature, Mel Gibson, classical democracy, hitch-hiking in wet underwear and office girls eating out.


Instead of a lawn it has a beach. Ok, here we go...
Bit of a storm down in Sydney. The wind picked up someone’s roof, placed it in the neighbor’s back yard, changed it’s mind and put it up on another neighbor’s roof. Sydney is Australia’s largest city at about 4 million but it is not the capital. The capital is Canberra, where the government lives. Except the prime minister, John Howard, who lives in Sydney and hops a tax-payer funded jet to get to work. I used to hitch-hike to work when I didn’t have a car. That was fun, you got home from work somewhere between 4pm and 7pm, depending where you got dropped off. One rainy day I walked 3 hours and when I got home my underwear was soaked. Of course this was back in Canada, so it’s not really relevant to Howard’s wasteful ways but, you know one government’s about the same as another. Well the Australian system is slightly different to other democracies in that once the leader is elected he turns into that fucking caterpillar in Alice Through The Looking Glass that gives out the big/small potions. A drug dealer, but not a nice one you know? One with an agenda. Plato said the leader should be the one who least wants the job because he has no agenda (except quitting presumably). The government meets in the House of Parliament, which does not at all resemble Thunderdome, in that it has a flag and some benches out front. You never saw office girls eating their lunches on the lawn in front of Thunderdome did you? Tina Turner has never even been there, although Mel Gibson was caught there, spraying graffiti on the statue of Captain Cook and shouting the British were responsible for all the fish and chips, or some shit. It was hard to tell, he was so pissed. He lost the next election and moved to Malibu, last I heard. (phew)

Ok summing up:

Flying better than walking.
Except when it’s a roof.

Office girls won’t sit just anywhere.
Plato tended to over-simplify.
Mel has to move again.
Drug dealers not always your friend.

11 comments:

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Ricky Bobby thought he could be a drug dealer. But a nice one. I blame H. Wood for that movie.

I love that your fearless leader flies 300 km to work every day. That's like the Bush-man staying on his ranch and flying to Washington everyday. Which I'm surprised he doesn't make us pay for. It would only help his friends in the oil racket.

What assholes. And so is Mel Gibson. Not for his movies, but because I really love driving on PCH but jackasses like him make it all dangerous and shit. *spit*

Sandra said...

I had some lovely driving on PCH when I was in California, and I *spit* too.

SkookumJoe said...

I drove the PCH on PCP but the CHP said it wasn't PC for a CPA to do PCP, GHB, LSD or XTC on the PCH,

but you can do whatever the hell you like on the I-5

Sandra said...

Well, the OPP have been out for their holiday weekend blitz, and caught some real lovelies. One father was bemused to hear that his daughter's motorcycle had sped away from the OPP at 250km/hr. She didn't have a motorcycle.
Except that her married boyfriend had convinced her to buy him a $17,000 bike on her credit card. He was riding the bike, but was the pillion passenger his wife? No. His bike-buying girlfriend? No. His other girlfriend...yes. I love Canada.

exile said...

all this talk about PCH is giving me flashbacks

SkookumJoe said...

Dang "OPP", forgot the OPP of ONT - which are not the RCMP, CIA or FBI

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Maybe it's because I'm ghetto, but OPP means something COMPLETELY different to me...

Although it makes sense in the context of that story.

SkookumJoe said...

Ontario Provincial Police - like state police, but you know, provincial

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

No, I got it. But Other People's...er, "Property" fit nicely in there.

citizen***146 said...

The I 5, didn`t they have a big smash up there?

SkookumJoe said...

dunno Cit146...the I-5 is about 1500 miles long...probably have quite a few smashups every day.

maybe one of the California readers knows. But I can tell you Whitlam Street which passes my house here in Australia is running fine. There was a kid on a bicycle earlier who looked a bit wobbly, but he recovered without incident.