Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Phone Calls and 42 Digit Numbers

Well sports fans, it's a hell of a sunny day after a week of rain and I'm stuck here waiting for a phone call. I remind myself the interview went well, lasted 3 hours with joking and laughing and many positive things said about myself. I also remind myself that I have a history of stuffing things up without realizing it until later. But I know this guy, used to work with him at another company and I actually had a job with him last year that I turned down to stay where I was. It's been a week with no word. So you think if it was "no", they'd just call. They did say something about having to decide where I would best fit in...but does that take a week? I don't really want to go applying anywhere else until I hear from these guys but time grows short. The phone does ring. Every half hour. The Missus wondering if I've heard.

Luckily I have other things to do. Good old Windows. I re-installed my network adapter and it was enough of a change that XP thought it had been kidnapped and placed in another computer...it started doing a Singing Sword thing (jack and the beanstock). Bill Gates appeared over my house in a black helicopter and shouted down through a bullhorn that I better re-activate Windows in Three (3) days or Israel would bomb me...or Mel Gibson. The computer then commenced to display a pop-up every 5 seconds telling me I had Three (3) days left to activate and do I want to activate do I do I do I?

So I called them up, entered a 42 digit number, waited, was told I needed to re-activate (yes, that's why I called), and transferred to a very nice woman who spoke little English. She was able to give me a new code, but not explain why the hell I will have to do this anytime I muck with drivers or network configurations. What if next time they won't give me a new code? But alas she was only able to recite from the card. I'm only saying it seems reasonable to have service representatives be able to converse in the language for the region to which they are assigned. Then again, maybe her English was fine... I was probably the 50th person to call that morning with the same problem. Either way, she didn't want to know about it.

Phone's ringing...
.
.
*update 1 hour later: Not a Singing Sword in Jack and the Beanstalk, it was a Harp... "Jack soon made up his mind, got out of the copper, and seized the harp, which, however, being enchanted by a fairy, called out loudly, "Master, master!"
...still no word.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

hope the news on the job front is good.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Joey-bob, I'm right there with you. I have 2 second-round interviews tomorrow, but still haven't heard from my first choice company...though they did say they probably wouldn't call till the end of the week anyway.

It's very frustrating, the wait wait waiting. But we're rooting for you!

Sandra said...

My fingers are crossed, evennaiif it menas ny typin si worse thn usale.

SkookumJoe said...

thanks ladies. I just tell myself the longer it takes is because they are coming up with a really good package for me (said with sardonic grin. I only have the one grin)

Sandra said...

Hey gurls, he called us ladies. *Smirk*

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

I'm a lady. With two 39-inch stripey legs that illustrate my toxicity!

I'm dangerous!