Saturday, August 26, 2006

Days of Hope and Wonder

Well I hope you are all enjoying your Friday afternoons. Due to convenient placement of the International Date Line it is Saturday morning on the East coast of Australia. The Missus will be ferrying Persons 3 and 4 to soccer and cheerleading and small arms training (the younger one still can't re-assemble an assault rifle in less than 3 minutes) while I am supposed to be finally finishing a dining table I reluctantly agreed to re-finish for a friend almost a year ago. I am not really set up for large scale spray-finishing which means I have to do it outside, when it's dry, not too windy, not too humid, not too cold, not too hot and with no chance of rain for several hours. I once did a beautiful high gloss spray finish on a table when a cloud of tiny flies appeared and settled on the still-wet table and were instantly incorporated into the finish. Had to go along with the point of a compass picking the little buggers out. Anyway it is overcast and cold with a stiff breeze...not really a good day for it...so I'm off the hook.

I was planning to install the software I need to learn on my computer at home to play with over the weekend but the other Planner...I haven't got a name for him yet...was a little uptight about it (I had to get the discs from him). "Do you know much about computers?" he asked warily, "This isn't some slap-in-the-disc install...there are TWO discs."
"Whatever", said I, "I'm going home in a few minutes, it's your call."
He hummed and hawed in some internal struggle with himself, complained about his workload for a while, struggled some more. Finally I agreed to bring my computer in and we'd install it together on Monday. I really really do not want to move my new computer, but I realized this gets me out of factory work next week (I'm helping in the factory a bit to learn the operation and meet the people I'll be drawing for and see how they do things). I don't mind at all, but I'm keen to get into my new office. Also it gives me a chance to work with the other Planner and hopefully get him to relax a little around me. Anyway I'm off the hook there too.

It's a Saturday full of possibilities with no pressing matters. Might go have a nap, might not. You don't know me, you can't tame me. I'm not 40 yet, so I'm not actually required to nap, but I thought I'd practice a bit, learn to sleep sitting up etc. Also I notice the batteries in my mouse are low so I might change them. I'm a madman, you can't stop me. Hey! Cartoons are on!

7 comments:

citizen***146 said...

This "requirement to nap thing" is this just Oz or all the colonies, if so I may be having a snooze later?
ps an old UK sitcom character (Selwyn Frogett to be pointlessly accurate) used to suffix every comment with " I read an article on it in the Times", I now read in Macleans that Bears are not bothering to hibernate as there is too much pizza around. Concerned of Milton Keynes

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

That's a beautiful description of your Saturday.

Mine started at a weird dive bar, segued into a fight between the guy buying my drinks and his fianceƩ arguing about him dumping her precious earrings in hydrogen peroxide, me crawling into bed at 3 am, finally rousing my ass out at 10 am, meeting the boy for lunch at 1 pm and then starting in on the scotch at 3 pm.

The night is yet to be written.

SkookumJoe said...

Dunno Cit146, I got it from my Dad and he's from Cumbria.

carefull exo, I once started a day that way and woke up in Australia.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Don't you wake up in Australia every day?

SkookumJoe said...

well ever since I moved here, yes. You do know I'm not originally from here don't you?

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Yes indeed. But you're there now, so it must have been a good thing, no?

SkookumJoe said...

nah, turns out there were already other people here. I hate other people. There were other people in Canada, and USA. I went to England twice, yup - people there too. Scotland and New Zealand, people...

I want my one/five-billionth of the planet and I want it now.