Thursday, September 07, 2006

Unrelated Jibber Jabber

Pick a car, any car...
Only 4 votes so far in the Pick-A-Car promotion, but hey, I'm happy to get those. The fact is I am running out of material. Although I really like most of the cartoons, they never really got any feedback, which is a polite blogger way of saying they suck...also I only have a few unused ones left (they come from a 1969 anti-heroin comic book called "Hooked" which was distributed in methadone clinics). The photos-with-sarcastic-comments (like yesterday's) do much better but I can't keep that up every day. The baboon stuff has a small following but, again, I can't run it everyday. I sometimes find stuff in the news I can use but that requires some knowledge of current events, of which I am lacking. People like Dan Tarrant are better at it and you really should read him for that sort of thing. That leaves the stories...problem is I can't tell the good ones from the bad ones; I can never tell what the response will be. I don't do this for praise, but I don't want to bore the shit out of people either. I was hoping the car promotion would pick the story for me. I do well with improv.
Steve Irwin...
Speaking of Dan, his current post is about Steve Irwin and I thought it was one of the better ones out there. Not surprisingly there are millions of pundits talking about old Steve. I heard on CKNW (Vancouver) today that Germain Greer said something like "the animals finally took revenge on him", she was being serious - bit harsh don't you think? Animals may defend themselves but I always admired them for forgoing the urge for revenge - unlike Miz Greer who is known for vengefulness and taking photographs of hairless young boys of indeterminate age...which is flat out fucking hypocritical. Some of the other posts I read included one by Surly Girl over at D-Flat Chime Bar which was a bit disappointing. She's a clever lass but she took the same easy kick at him that I would expect from people of more limited imagination. I find smugness annoying. I don't care if you like him or not but if you are going to write about it, at least look for a fresh angle.
My new office...
My progression from toiling factory machinist to high-paid architectural designer marches on. No sign of the high-pay yet, but the living conditions are improving. I am actually replacing a person who is off with a serious illness but will be coming back eventually. I am currently in his old office (emptied of personal stuff) and when he comes back one of us will get a new office....but for now I'm referring to the room upstairs, first on the right, as my office. At my old place, although I was 3rd in command, I didn't have an office, I had a desk in reception - outside the door to an empty office. It was like working in a hallway with people always standing next to me chatting with other people or reading over my shoulder. My old bosses reasoned that somehow if I were 6 feet further away from the factory floor everything would fall apart. But this is a real office. It has a window and if I stand on a chair I can look out of it (it's a factory, remember). And this is the best part, it has a door. My new job does not require me to deal too much with other people so I am free to close my door and work away undisturbed. This is unprecedented and, I must say, a great concept. The computer has reasonable speakers. It is air conditioned. That's better than most houses I've lived in. I was in there for 10 hours today CADing away and it was a joy. I don't ask for much, just to be left the fuck alone. My problem is I think everyone else is stupid except me...and that's probably not true. Another problem is that humor involving understatement doesn't do well in print form. You mustn't ever take anything I say literally...unless I literally say to take it literally, and even then you should add salt.

7 comments:

exile said...

Germain Greer is a total cunt

and i mean that to sound as harsh as possible

i get that she's a feminist, and that's great. but to bag on this poor guy just to get her name out there is disgusting.

she keeps going on how he exploited animals and yadda yadda. so not only is she hypacritical bitch she's but she's dead wrong.

regardless of how much of a dork steve irwin may have been he loved animals and his work. he put himself in harms way on numerous occations just to ensure the safty of these animals. all the while doing his best to educate the masses.

this chick is using his death to get her name out there. it has nothing to do with her cause.

someone ought'a take her scuba diving...

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Word.

Joe, I really love your commentary on all things big and small. Especially stories that involve the antics of Persons 3 and 4.

Hell, I've started posting about my mail. There is ALWAYS a story somewhere. Sometimes you just need to force it out of the ether.

Or shoot a hooker in Reno. That's always a way to start a story.

Dan said...

Joe, thanks for the kind words!

Your stuff is great, don't be discouraged by the lack of comments, etc. Remember you're only competing with about 20 million other blogs according to recent estimates.

SkookumJoe said...

aww shucks.

just needed a kick-start. thanks for input and nice words everybody.

SkookumJoe said...

oh yeah, exile is right about old GG. Headline, front page in today's Sydney Telegraph called her a "vicious cow"

exile said...

vicious cow doesn't sound harsh enough

i get that she is vicious, and being an angry feminist i can see where cow come it, but "vicious cow" just isn't good enough. what next? she's a disgruntal sheep?

btw, i like the comics. i do belive i leave a comment on all of them too.

SkookumJoe said...

Think about it, for the front page of a large daily, that's ultra harsh. Considering she is also Australian, isn't she?