Sunday, January 07, 2007

It's All Over


Well kids, Christmas is over, back to work tomorrow. P3 gave me a cool flip-up race car desk clock thing that I’ll be taking with me. It’s really heavy and fits the palm well for throwing. I suppose I have made a resolution for the year and that is the same as every year, ‘fuck ‘em if they can’t take a joke’

I am watching a documentary on the building of the Great Eastern, the first all-iron ship and the first designed to carry enough coal to circle the globe non-stop. The engineer, Brunel, fought to use the new lateral launching technique, where the ship slides sideways into the water instead of pointy end first. On launch day they knocked out the brakes, a winch spun out of control injuring 5, the ship slid four feet and stuck firm. It took them 90 days to get it free. It is rumoured when they broke the ship up years later, they found the skeletons of two riveters, a man and a boy who had been sealed inside the double hull during construction. I know what it’s like to hit unexpected delays although I’m pretty sure nobody has ever been entombed in anything I designed.

1 comment:

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

How can you know unless you go tear it up and look?