Sunday, June 03, 2007

bloody bloody bloody

You may have heard of this ad campaign by Tourism Australia which was banned in the UK for it’s tag-line “Where the bloody hell are you?” I don’t know if it was marketed in the US but I don’t see it doing well there either for the same reason.


That ad's not offensive, it’s not even accurate. It’s some back-of-the-never-never depiction of the idealized society Australians assume they live in. It’s a shame really. Because they spent a lot of money on that ad. So now they just air it locally. I have seen it 6 times this morning. I hate that ad. I want to punch most of the people in that ad right in the solar plexus. Except the “bloody hell” girl. It’s not her fault.

Not her fault that my tax dollars were spent on a multi-million dollar ad campaign currently being used to entice ME to where I already LIVE by use of the most annoying cast of movie-extras ever assembled. All because the British are too uptight to take a joke. I tired, worn, clichéd “How ya goin, fair dinkum, she’ll be right mate”, yes-we-all-know-Aussies-are-a-cheeky-lot, bloody joke.

1 comment:

citizen***146 said...

Well I can`t believe that the UK banned it, another great reason to be glad I am in excile here in Canada, where we get the ad and I kinda like it too