Friday, October 20, 2006

Monkey Mating

As you recall, Baboon X-1 was an Ethiopian baboon which are renowned trouble makers. In Addis Ababa gangs of baboons hoon around on motor scooters knocking the hats off old ladies and not always coming to a complete stop at Stop signs. I went ahead and armed one with laser beam eyes and learned my first important Baboon Army creation lesson: Don’t do that.

What was needed was a smarter, calmer baboon soldier. Now, I won’t say where I got this one from for fear of starting a nasty turf war with the Ethiopians, but it is of a different variety known more for their powers of logic and ability to tie most common knots. I was also most fortunate to come across an ad in the window of the little general store in the village. Among the dogs and horses and used ballerina costumes for sale, lawn mowing hopefuls and trusty babysitters, was a woman willing to teach chess to baboons. What are the odds? A baboon chess master this far from Russia and, it turns out, she’s only three houses down from me. I think she was a member of that cult, Heaven’s Gate or Shining Backyard or something…anyway she missed the big suicide day (mother died, ironically) and found herself cultless. What luck for the cause I say. I have retained her services for 6 months to teach my new baboon, indeed X-2, the finer points of the
Queen's gambit declined semi-slav.


Here they are in my kitchen having a friendly game. Shortly after the picture was taken X-2 realized his flank was exposed too late and was mated…I’m pretty sure nobody in the history of language has ever said that before, which is not to say it doesn’t happen but I digress. Keep those cards and letters coming, next update when it happens.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey man send me an e-mail...lost all

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

I can't wait until we have a whole army of chess playing, spunky monkeys. I could really use one to pick up my slack right now.

SkookumJoe said...

Illidge I don't have your email address either. Write me at mamalfarmer@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Could we also make ones that could iron and type? That'd be very handy.

SkookumJoe said...

there will be no ironing or typing in the baboon compound, I forgot to mention

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot that it will be like heaven, only better.

exile said...

so let me see if i got this straight.

X-1 is equiped with an ocular laser
X-2 plays chess

unless this comes down to a Matthew Brodrick "War Games" climax, we might want to give X-2 a weapon.

just food for thought

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

X-1 is long gone, man. Long. Gone.

Anonymous said...

Erm, what'll we do if X-1 has been breeding in the wild? We'd better give X-2 a cheese grater or something.

SkookumJoe said...

no fear of X-1 breeding. I figured out what those left over parts were for.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

No wonder he's so angry. I'd be pretty pissed if I was an impotent primate too.

SkookumJoe said...

X-2 is doubly happy though