Saturday, May 13, 2006

Quick Stop


Places I have visited for less than an hour:

Auckland, New Zealand
Suva, Fiji
Honolulu, Hawaii
Brisbane, Australia
Tallahassee, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida
Birmingham, Alabama
Cincinnati, Ohio
Pittsburg, Pennsylvania
Buffalo, New York
Knoxville, Tennessee
Louisville, Kentucky

Most of those US stops were on my epic
Tour of US Bus Depots. At the airport in Hawaii, I was outside having a smoke when a city bus pulled up. I could have hopped on and been gone. So much for homeland security. The trip to New Zealand was solely so I could turn around and re-enter Australia…which was the only way I could renew my visa. I landed in Auckland, cleared customs, got sniffed by a sniffer dog, bought a bottle of duty-free liquor, checked in and re-boarded the same plane within 1 hour.

Conversation with sniffer dog cop:

Cop: Where have you come from?
Me: Australia
Cop: How long are you staying?
Me: Actually I’m boarding a flight now.
Cop: Where to?
Me: Australia
Cop: How long were you in New Zealand?
Me: (looks at watch) About 45 minutes.
Cop: (puzzled look)
Me: Renewing my visa
Cop: Ahh - I hear you, mate.

The airline staff thought I was lost, as they had only just seen me get off the same plane. I told them the food was so good, I came back for the dinner flight.

4 comments:

Messed Up said...

came back for the dinner flight. LOL

exile said...

um... unless you have a turbin or a big nose homeland security couldn't give a shit about you. especially if you're austrailian

(i mean, seriously, who has austraila ever attacked?)

SkookumJoe said...

actually I'm Canadian, but Australians think I'm American, and Americans think I'm Irish so I just don't know anymore

Amanda said...

same prob here, I'm Irish, everyone in England though i was Canadian, now in Toronto everyone thinks my English husband is Australian.