Sunday, June 04, 2006

Negotiated Peace

They’re back. The cold weather means all sorts of critters are trying to move in with us. Two years ago we had a plague of mice. Got to the point where they no longer feared humans…running about in the day time, hardly bothering to scurry, openly holding meetings. Bastards got inside the washing machine and shorted out the circuit board…it’s a front loader and it would get reved up to about 42,000 RPM and BANG, slam itself into reverse. Then it would regain consciousness, piss water all over the floor and shut itself off. $360 for a new circuit board.

I could hear things in the roof at night, so I threw some poison baits up there. I swear they began playing with them. All night you’d hear the bait packet hit the ceiling, then tiny scurrying feet running after it, then THOOK the packet hitting somewhere else and the little feet running after it.

(artist's conception of me with trebuchet)

Once I made this clever little mouse trap that I was going to combine with a trebuchet I built…the idea being the little fella would enter the trap, receive some peanut butter and then be flung unceremoniously over the back fence. But early tests of the trebuchet drew rather unwanted attention from the neighbors after several golf balls overshot and pranged off the side of their house. So I had to dismantle it…I believe there is now a bylaw prohibiting siege engines in town limits.

This year I’ve been around and under the house, pulled out all the appliances and sealed up any holes. No pet food left out, doors kept closed and I thought I was ready. The missus woke me up at 3-o-clock the other morning. There was a sound coming from the kitchen that sounded like someone dragging a chain across a wheelbarrow. In the kitchen both cats are staring at the wall next to the sliding glass doors. On the other side of the glass both dogs are staring at their side of the wall. From inside the wall comes the sound. Whatever was in there was chewing on something which was touching the back side of the metal door frame causing the sound to reverberate loudly. I banged on the wall and it stopped. We, all six of us, stared at the wall until we were satisfied. One by one we drifted back to bed…the missus went first, I waited until the cats were sure, and the dogs waited for me. Of course once I’m back in bed it started again.

That’s it. There’s no dicking around this year. I got up, went back into the kitchen, grabbed a pair of sewing scissors from the jar of pens on the window sill, knelt, and drove the point through the gyprock at the base of the wall. I gave the scissors a twist to open up the hole and pulled them free. I hunted around and found a can of fly spray and blasted it through the hole in the gyprock. There were no further sounds that night.

This morning the missus said she thought she heard that sound in the kitchen again last night...

Fine. Just stay out of the damn washing machine.

2 comments:

exile said...

my girlfriend is doing the same dance with the mice in her house. turns out the plumber left a gaping hole in her wall and they flooded in. now she's in a full out war.

because she hates touching the mice i bought her these electric mouse traps. they have two little plates inside that when the mouse touches them both it fries the little bastards.

i asked her if she wanted the "humane" traps that dont' kill them. she told me she wanted them to die screaming... i guess they pooped in the wrong person's bread pan.

Amanda said...

we had a mouse in our old house and got a humane trap to catch it. The trap was closed one morning so carfully brought outside to relase point, slowly opened and empty.
So next time it was closed, it was picked up and opened in the kitchen, little bugger jumped out and ran back under the sink. Eventually caught it again.