Sunday, June 04, 2006

"This sucks, I'm leaving", I declared.

That’s a shame. Some nice Canadian boys mixed up in all that terror business. Probably gave themselves away, having 3 tons of ammonium nitrate delivered to a Mississauga apartment building. I’ve been to Mississauga, if a bomb went off you wouldn’t know the difference. But what caught my attention was this quote from Mike McDonnell, assistant commissioner of the RCMP:

"They represent the broad strata of our community. Some are students, some are employed, some are unemployed."

The cop defined the “broad strata of [the] community” by whether they had a job, or an excuse not to have a job. When I left Canada it was common for young men to greet each other by asking “are you working?”. My two stints in university were mainly because I could live better on a student loan than I could working. And because I had no clear focus, I now have a mish-mash of university credits which do not a degree make.

There was nothing for it but to run away to Australia to seek my fortune…

2 comments:

exile said...

i like the "i could live better off a student loan than a job"

SkookumJoe said...

Canada is consistently in the top 3 countries for standard of living, even higher than the states, but my generation happened to come along when all the mines, sawmills and other Big Industry were closing, but before the technology and tourism industries took off. Used to be you either went to college or took a good job in a sawmill. When I graduated there were no jobs and the universities were not yet offering much in computers except straight hard science degrees which I didn't have the math for. So I took philosophy and english and photography and psychology and whatever else looked fun, and didn't start too early. Eventually I went back and got my math and enrolled again for a science degree...but by then I was 30 and school sucked. So, as you do, I fucked off to Australia and so far that's working out good.