Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Zen As Applied To The Long Weekend


We went to Katoomba which is a swanky little mountain town filled with backpackers and boutiques and 427 coffee shops. We stayed in an old and semi-posh hotel where we took our breakfasts in the dining room like civilized people. On the second night I discovered a nook at the end of the hall from our second floor room. A door led out to a small balcony on which was a small metal table and a metal chair and a clean ashtray. The balcony overlooked the main street with a view of the backpacker's hostel across the street and the police station next to it, with a bakery on the other side. This, I thought, is much more convenient than going downstairs to smoke.

I carried with me at the time a small vitamin bottle in which I kept a small pipe and a small quantity of marijuana. As night fell I sat against the wall sipping espresso, smoking and watching - and reading The Art of War, which I had picked up in a second hand bookstore that afternoon. I was reading the section dealing with concealing your form. There was a cold wind.

At one point I heard the door behind me open. Two people, a man and woman each dressed in soft clothes, peered out. As I slipped the pipe into my pocket, I turned and said "Hello!" with an overly cheerful grin. They looked at my book, at my cigarette, at me and smiled shyly, saying "we wondered where this door went".

"It is a smoking area." I said happily.

"It is a smoking area." they repeated, somehow reassured. They left with the expressions of people who have seen a small wonder, like a really good card trick, or a dog with only two legs that gets around on a little skateboard.

I bet if you asked them, they would not be able to describe me. For even though I was in plain sight I didn't let them see me. I concealed my form.

Then again, maybe they just didn’t give a fuck.

8 comments:

exile said...

part of me was expecting someone to walk out there, leave a breifcase, and say "number eight is dead, the job is yours number seven" then leave abruptly.

perhaps i should read art of war, seeing as though i plan to have a high held position in the construction phase of the baboon army.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Joe, I hope you're only using your powers for good, not evil. Or, to conceal your girlie harem from your wife.

Sandra said...

I was in Katoomba once. It rained all day and I was a dirty backpacker, but I liked it very much. I bought a bracelet for my sister.

What did you conceal yourself as? An umbrella? A puff of smoke? It matters not, it's still an excellent talent.

SkookumJoe said...

They saw a man smoking in a smoking area. He was sitting down. May have had an accent - that's all they remember.

You didn’t strike me as the constructive type Exile, what are your plans?

Sandra you sly dog, you never let on you have been to Australia. Lots of Irish here – all doing stand-up comedy and late night radio, seems like.

Exoterica, there’ll be no concealing from Mrs Skookum. I promised her photos.

Sandra said...

Yes, I was in Australia for four days in late 1998. So I have seen it all. It was in between two elective hospital attachments, one in Canada and the other in India, so I stopped over to see some friends in Sydney.

Ghetto Photo Girl said...

Wait, so now she's okay with it?

Sandra said...

I thought at least Mrs S would be Head of the Harem?

And it's not even a harem, it's a group of dedicated baboon army makers.

SkookumJoe said...

ok:

Baboon Army - yes
Harem - no
Dedicated - you know, whatever.