Monday, June 12, 2006

New, the Real Life Channel


Well, ESPN finally decided to show a hockey game in Australia this year. Not one bloody game all season, and I'd given up checking the schedule, when suddenly yesterday afternoon there it is. I'm flicking channels and there's game three of the Stanley Cup Final. The final, not the semi-finals or quarter-finals, The Final - and game three to boot. As you know Edmonton scored on a not-very-pretty goal with about 2 minutes left to win, making the series 2-1 for Carolina...I think.

I suppose I could just go to NHL.com and find out...but that's not the point. I paid good money for a man and his idiot helper to come over and put a little satellite dish on my roof specifically so I could watch hockey. I had to lock in to a 50 year contract - with both kids and one of the dogs as collateral. For this I get three (3) channels devoted entirely to Australian Rugby League, one entirely to Australian Rules football, and ESPN. Oh, and you can't get ESPN without getting the other four channels in the Premium Sports Package. We used to get ESPN2 as well, but they cancelled it when they added the fourth football channel. Alas, ESPN1 will show me 16 consecutive hours of the Eastern European Lawn Bowling qualifying rounds, but not one hockey game.

I asked the missus to cancel our service but when she got off the phone she said something about a contract, and suddenly we have five (5) extra movie channels plus the Fashion Channel (I hear thin leather ties are coming back!).

They increased their rates when they added digital broadcast capability...which makes no difference to my analogue TV except now I can push a button and get local weather after navigating through 28 screens, entering my postal code and waiting about 10 minutes for it to load. Handy, I use it all the time. No I don't, instead I use this other device whereby I get accurate, up-to-the-minute, weather information by pulling a cord, raising the blinds and looking out the fucking window.

Clearly this is madness. Let us all raise our collective blinds, go outside in the weather and play some hockey. Go on, it'll do you good.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

In the States, we have to watch NHL hockey on the Outdoor Life Network since ESPN let the hockey contract go. OLN, which also added some Arena Football League games to its "outdoor" lineup, is only slightly better than local cable access quality. -- Between OLN's shity coverage and using antenna to watch snowy CBC, watching my Sabres play has been painful at times.

Screw Carolina! Go Oilers!

SkookumJoe said...

I can't remember the last time I saw Buffalo play. Ahhh the CBC. I have the Hockey Night In Canada theme song in my mp3 collection.

exile said...

you better go buy some KY, cause the satalite company isn't through with you yet.

my advice is to find some canadian who will mail you tapes of hockey games (canadians have nothing else to do)

SkookumJoe said...

I'm not waiting 3 weeks for a damn DVD man! No, this will be resolved.