Thursday, June 08, 2006

What do you mean that's not what it means?

When I were a nipper in the doldrums of the late seventies it was something of a fad to get a custom T-shirt made. Malls had T-shirt shops, like tattoo establishments, walls covered in sample graphics. You picked out your transfer, maybe your favorite car or sports team. There were lots of funny ones and some rather racy ones…

My father repairs industrial machinery like excavators and front end loaders for a living and is rather good at it. I was proud of him as a boy and wanted to get him something for his birthday with the money I had earned working after school. I decided on a T-shirt. I spent about an hour one Saturday down at the T-shirt shop, while the surly attendant watched me over his magazine, choosing just the right transfer for old dad, the excellent mechanic. Here’s what I came up with:

Mechanics Have Hot Rods
Let me just say that at ten years old I had no concept of the double entendre, and tended to take things literally. Anyway, to me it seemed a perfectly reasonable statement, ignoring the fact my father did not own a hot-rod automobile, but he rode motorcycles which was better. So I was a bit perplexed when he seemed reluctant to wear it out for his birthday lunch. As a matter of fact I never saw that shirt again.

The next year I got him a clock and that went much better. He's received about 15 now.

3 comments:

Sweary said...

My mother was a fan of corporal punishment, so on a school tour at the age of ten I got her a t-shirt saying, "Naughty Girls Get Spanked"

She wears it when she gardens.

SkookumJoe said...

Yes, well my father may be blue collar, but "those sorts of jokes" make him uncomfortable so I'd say my shirt ended life as an oily rag.

*freaky, the word verication for this comment is: skook

exile said...

hmmmm... so first you give him a hot rod, then it's a cool clock...

nah, no enuendos there...